My favorite Chickpea Salad
This is a creamy salad ala chicken salad or tuna salad, made with mashed chickpeas. This is barely a recipe but i really like it and wanted to write it out. As of this writing I have made this three days in a row and ate the entire thing for lunch -- that's a lot of fiber!
Nothing special, just a mixing bowl, something to smash the chickpeas with (I use a potato masher but you could use a fork), and a spoon or spatula. Also a knife and cutting board to cut the celery i guess.
- 1 ~15-oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (save the water in the can for aquafaba to make vegan mayonnaise
- 3 ribs celery, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1-2 teaspoons of capers
- 1/4th-1/2 cup mayo -- i use homemade (see link above) and i usually use chipotle mayo, which just has a couple chipotle peppers added and juice of 1 lime instead of vinegar. Obviously you can use whatever mayo you want, including store bought or nonvegan if you don't care about eating vegan.
- seasonings to taste -- MSG, garlic salt, black pepper, kelp flakes are some options i usually reach for,
Mayo recipe here
- Put the chickpeas in your mixing bowl and mash them up as much as you want -- they don't have to be totally smooth, having some texture is good.
- Stir in the mayo and combine.
- Add the sliced celery and capers, stir to mix it up.
- Add seasonings and stir again.